Haryana Assembly passes bills for mandatory educational criteria for urban local bodies elections
These bills are (i) The Haryana Municipal (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (ii) Haryana Municipal Corporation (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
Key features of the Haryana Municipal (Amendment) Bill, 2016
- Male Gen.: Class X i.e. matriculation.
- Female candidate from open category and a male candidate from Scheduled Caste (SC): 8th standard pass.
- SC women candidates: 5th standard pass.
- Should not be convicted or have charges framed against him in a criminal case by a court for an offence punishable with imprisonment for not less than 10 years.
- No pending arrears of electricity bills
- A functional toilet at their residence.
- Amendments in Haryana Panchayati Raj (Amendment) Act, 2015 similar to amendments in Panchayati Raj elections in the state.