– 5th November every year as World Tsunami Awareness Day.
– Help to spread awareness among people across the world in matters related to the dangers of tsunami and stress on importance of early warning systems
– Proposal first mooted by the Government of Japan
– Significance of the Day: November 5 coincide with the annual anniversary of the 1854 Inamura-no-hi or “Fire of Inamura” event in which a Japanese villager set fire to sheaves of rice for warning people
– Japan had suffered heavy losses as a result of tsunamis recently Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami on 11 March 2011.
o 15,000 lives, disrupted the nuclear power industry and thousands homeless.
– 26 December 2004 i.e. on Boxing Day, the Indian Ocean tsunami had claimed around 230000 lives.
o formed due to earthquake with its epicenter off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia.
Source of Information:
5 November – World Tsunami Awareness Day
Cover pic source: www.scrivial.com