2010 Paper I Section -A
(a) Cultural relativism and subsequent violation of human rights
(b) Importance of chronology in prehistory
(d) Segmentary lineage and territoriality
2. (a) What stage is known as incipient stage of food production ? Point out major features of this cultural stage. Illustrate your answer with suitable examples from specific area in the old world. 30
(b) Point out the differences in the concepts of classical evolutionism and neo-evolutionism in socio- cultural anthropology. Which stage of prehistoric culture is known as cultural revolution and why ? 30
3. (a) What is Balanced Genetic Polymorphism ? How is it maintained in a population ? 30
(b) What are the major craniofacial changes that occurred during Hominid evolution ? Discuss. 30
4. (a) State the theories regarding the origin of spoken language in human societies both from biological and cultural points of view. 30
(b) Distinguish between the terms ‘fecundity’ and ‘fertility’. Are the factors influencing them distinguishable ? Discuss. 30
(a) Culture of Homo eretus
(b) Social concept of disease
(c) Senescence and socio- economics in contemporary times
6. (a) What factors are responsible for bringing about variation in residence of different societies? Explain how kinship influences man’s social life. 30
(b) Critically examine the synthetic theory of human evolution. 30
7. (a) What do you understand by the following terms ?
i. Systemic Sampling, ii. Stratified Sampling, iii. Multistage Sampling; For what kind of anthropological researches will you use each of them and why?
(b) Chromosomal deletions and fluctuations may lead to gross abnormalities in man. Discuss with the help suitable example. 30
8. (a) Why are Neanderthals called Premodern humans ? The Upper of their coexistence with modern man. Discuss. 30
(b) Is Race a valid concept ? Critically assess the relevance of racial classification in the Indian context. 30
PAPER II, SECTION A
(a) Neolithic culture in India
(b) Universalization and Parochialization
(d) Urban planning in Harappan culture
2. (a) Critically examine the factoras responsible for the high population growth in India and suggest Suitable measures for population control. 30+15
(b) Discuss the relevance of Guha’s racial classification in the context of India’s ethnic groups. 15
3. (a) Comment in detail on the socio-cultural life of the people of the Indus Valley Civilization. 30
(b) Examine Gordon Childe’s statements. ” Neolithic culture is a revolution.” 15
(c) Discuss the contributions of S.C.Dube towards the understanding of the Indian village. 15
4.(a) Asses the contribution of M.N. Srinivas towards Indian Anthropology in general . Add a note on his understanding in the context of studying social mobility in India. 20+10
(b) Examine the role of the caste system in the present political context. 15
(c) Is the present polical system strengthening the caste system ? Discuss. 15
(a) Education and health among tribal women.
(b) The problem of bonded labour among Indian tribes.
(c) Panchayati Raj and the tribes.
(d) Tribal displacement.
6.(a) ” Land and forest are the twin problems of the tribes.” Explain. 40
(b) Discuss the relevance of traditional wisdom and knowledge of the tribes with reference to health in the present day context. 20
7. (a) Discuss and compare the approaches towards the tribes during colonial and post independent India. 45
(b) Do you find any significant change in the approaches ? Asses. 15
8. (a) Critically examine the various structurasl constraints in the educational development of Scheduled Tribes. 30
(b) Analyse the factors influencing tribal regionalism, citing Indian examples. 30